COVID-19, the coronavirus, continues to ravage Iran. By mid-March there were nearly 15,000 infections, and 853 Iranians had died from the disease. But there’s every reason to believe the real figures are much higher.
The health ministry reported 1,053 confirmed new cases of infection in just the previous 24 hours, raising the total to 14,991. Iran had been scrambling to contain the rapid spread of COVID-19 after it first emerged in the Shiite city of Qom in February. Qom had 19 new cases that took the total to 1,023. A top Iranian cleric was among the dead in one of the world’s worst-hit countries.
Iran has shut schools, postponed events and discouraged travel, cancelled the main weekly Friday prayers, closed parliament and postponed the second round of legislative elections. They also sent 83,000 inmates on temporary leave from jails, apparently over concerns of the virus spreading in the prison system.
Iran has yet to impose a lockdown, and the official number of deaths and infections has continued to grow exponentially. The head of a Tehran hospital said he was doubtful the virus could be contained without more stringent measures.
We call on Christians to cry out to God in prayer for the Iranian people.
- Pray for the disease to stop spreading.
- Pray for healing for those who are infected.
- Pray for medical professionals responsible for fighting the coronavirus.
- Pray that the leaders responsible for making decisions about the coronavirus will have wisdom.
- Pray for people facing even more financial stress.
- Pray that the sick and dying will hear and believe the Gospel.
- Pray that Iranian Christians will be strong and would have opportunities to show the love of Christ.
- Pray for the Gospel to spread and for people to turn to Jesus.